Hello Guest

Author Topic: Camera Features / Functions Wishlist - What do you want in 2015?  (Read 3462 times)

Offline theqca

• Hero
    • Framed For Life
Camera Features / Functions Wishlist - What do you want in 2015?
« on: December 14, 2014, 11:08:41 PM »
I know the gods at Canikon will not listen but it would be interesting to see what you guys think about features & functions that should be there in cameras to be launched in 2015.

Most of my comments are for Nippon Kōgaku however you Canon people needn't celebrate - things are pretty much the same in your end of the world too.

Here's what I want in 2015 (either Nikon or Canon will do - I'm willing to jump )

More buttons & dials - Canikon however seem to be moving into the touchscreen arena. I need a real camera please not something like an andriod app

Larger viewfinders - Why are we getting teeny weeny viewfinders that don't offer 100% coverage in models that are not top end?

Nikon - get rid of that G lens thingy and lets have those aperture controls on all lenses. Apart from me loving them, they also help a lot while using manual Extension tubes, reversed lenses etc etc

Small files - I want more megapixels and photos which are larger but i dont want each photo to be 100mb. No dear Canikon i will not shoot at anything less than the best quality jpeg settings and i will also shoot RAW - how you do it is your problem. You are forcing me to upgrade my PC, Ram, Hard disk and everything else by continuing to make your image sizes larger and larger everytime I upgrade the camera body.

Larger and more accurate LCDs - I'm tired of getting pics which look great on the camera LCD and don't look all that good on my monitor when i get back home. A better and more realistic LCD is more important than wasting money on researching things like in-camera angry bird video games.

Just one standard battery for all models

2 dials in all camera models - I Still haven't understood why entry level cameras cannot have two dials and require the pressing of some other button + turn the dial thingy to change aperture / shutter unlike higher end models where you have a separate dial for each setting. 1 plastic dial cant be all that expensive!!

Multiple camera models in each category
- You've got D3200, D5300, D7000, D7100, D610, D750, Df, D810, D810e, D4s - Not sure if consumers are confused or the manufacturer but I sure am confused.

Terrible DSLR adverts with basic errors in composition like a tilted horizon - I still don't believe this but its there on the Nikon website - http://www.nikon.co.in/en_IN/products/categories/dslr.page? There's also another version which even has terrible subject placement - http://www.photographyclubofindia.com/boards/index.php?topic=3009.0 I don't know about the rest of the world but I will not buy a camera by looking at Priyanka Chopra.

Stop painting cameras Red or maroon or whatever you call that shade (canon's got one in white too) - Can we go back to good old Black and Silver please?

No Different card types - I need one card type - SD will do. I don't want CF + SD or any similar nonsense.
Make a universal slot that takes all card types.

Make a universal charger that charges all batteries.
Make a battery charger that charges like my mobile phone and kindle - the kinds that plugs into any USB socket.

I paid more than a lakh for a full frame and now I need to pay more for a vertical grip because you couldn't add one while making the camera? Really?

Don't ever change the lens mount like Canon did. Stick to the F mount. It aint broke - don't fix it.

Get rid of those G lenses. Please. And I don't think anyone really makes a profit by removing those motors or adding them. If Canon isn't crippling its lower end camera bodies why does Nikon have to?

Sell all camera models without kit lenses for those who don't want those terrible 18-55 pieces of plastic.

Make better in camera black and white - Or get rid of that in-built black and white mode. It gives terrible results. I'm sure we're capable of having a black and white mode that turns out proper monochrome images that look the way monochrome images are supposed to look.

Give me a proper camera strap. The one's that come with the cameras are a pain if you've ever used them in the field. Even Chinese made straps that are available for a few hundred rupees are more comfortable than the straps made by Nikon or Canon

Come up with a Digital rangefinder. One that's not as expensive as a Leica. One that has a mount which will allow me to use a nice fast 35mm or 50mm. No I don't want to buy a Fuji.

« Last Edit: December 14, 2014, 11:23:42 PM by A.y.a.z »
Nikon FM(black), Nikon FG, Nikon D700, Nikon FM(silver), Nikon FM10, Pentax Spotmatic, Zenith TTL, Minox Wetzlar, Agfa Optima III, Yashica & Rollei rangefinders etc

28mm 2.8, 70-300vr, 200mm f4, 50mm 1.4, 55mm 2.8 macro, 50mm 1.8, 16mm 2.8, 70-210 f4 macro, Lensbaby, Helios 44 f2, 90mm macro, etc

Offline mannusingh

• Hero
Re: Camera Features / Functions Wishlist - What do you want in 2015?
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2014, 11:20:54 PM »
I agree with most of your demands but I don't understand why G lenses are  a problem. Canon has had G lenses ever since the EF mount was introduced and if you really need MF you can still use the older manual or AF lenses. It's not a matter of crippling lower end bodies. Canon just does not allow older FD lenses with  apertures  to be mounted and used at all. But this G lens road map is definitely the right way ahead coz no matter what one says the Canon EF mount is the most robust and feature rich lens mount out there. As good as the F mount is as far as compatibility with older lenses is, that EF mount is just  a lot better.

I would rather see a hybrid AF system that would do away with the AF fine tune nonsense that phase detect forces you to do. So what I am looking for is phase detect advantages with accuracy of contrast detect.

Ever since I have started using the focus peaking feature on my new GX7, I wish  they incorporate it in DSLRs too to aid manual focusing.

May be some more DO lenses like Canon which are not obscenely expensive and can actually reduce weight and size for longer telephotos.
« Last Edit: December 14, 2014, 11:25:40 PM by mannusingh »
Nikon and M4/3

Offline theqca

• Hero
    • Framed For Life
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2014, 11:41:41 PM »
I agree with most of your demands but I don't understand why G lenses are  a problem.

They don't have an aperture ring - that's the main problem that I have. I like the aperture ring. Even if its not used most of the time. It feels good. It also comes in handy when reverse mounting a lens or using manual ETs. It also comes in handy when I want to put a roll through one of my older cameras.

One of the reasons I moved to Nikon from Canon some years ago was that I could use my older lenses. I liked them and wanted to use them. Canon didn't give me that option.

Here's what Nikon has to say about G lenses "The only difference between Nikon AF-D and AF-G lenses is that AF-G have no aperture ring. Studies reveal that few Professionals are now using lenses with aperture rings, the ability to electronically adjust exposures by 1/3 stop via the command dials far outperforms manual ring adjustment, however experienced the user may be"

If everything else is the same - why have a G lens when its not going to let me use a manual ET, reverse mount my lens as well as ensure I cant put it on one of my film cameras?

Nikon FM(black), Nikon FG, Nikon D700, Nikon FM(silver), Nikon FM10, Pentax Spotmatic, Zenith TTL, Minox Wetzlar, Agfa Optima III, Yashica & Rollei rangefinders etc

28mm 2.8, 70-300vr, 200mm f4, 50mm 1.4, 55mm 2.8 macro, 50mm 1.8, 16mm 2.8, 70-210 f4 macro, Lensbaby, Helios 44 f2, 90mm macro, etc

Offline theqca

• Hero
    • Framed For Life
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2014, 11:43:05 PM »

Ever since I have started using the focus peaking feature on my new GX7, I wish  they incorporate it in DSLRs too to aid manual focusing.

That sounds interesting...I've never tried it out...how does it work?

Offline somnath goswami

• Trusted Member
  • Hero
« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2014, 07:12:05 AM »
@Ayaz ... focus peaking is really helpful, specially for macro.

My wish list.

In camera body :

1. Measurement of focal  distance : I wish I get a feedback of the distance at which I am focusing. Would be invaluable for using hyper focal distance method.

2. Timer with mirror lock up : That would greatly minimise the need for a separate remote.

3. Full functioning top LCD : May be a smaller one but one that would help us to do composition better when the camera is in lower position.

4. On board HDD : Why some flimsy SD/CF cards ?

On lenses :

1. Hard stop at infinity : If you have ever tried night shooting, you will understand the reason. Yes there are ways to work around but naturally a compromise.

2.Proper DOF scale: Like the old lenses, a proper DOF scale painted or even better engraved on the artel itself.

3.Infinity marker for infra-red : Some older Nikkors used to have them & they really help.

4. Retractable hoods : Ahh old times.

Will closely look into this thread. Thanks for starting this Ayaz

cheers
Somnath

Offline Hyperdrive

• Trusted Member
  • Hero
« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2014, 09:44:25 AM »
My wish list for 2015 and beyond:

a) Dual/hybrid 100% VFs at least on FF DSLRs. I appreciate the focus peaking feature of MLCs. But believe EVFs aren't a complete substitute for a large clear 100% OVF just yet, hence a dual VF would be good.

b) Aperture ring - always appreciated the old D type lenses for this.

c) Standardisation of cards - XQD, CF and SD. WTF Nikon, please go with just 1 or 2 types in all your card slots. I'd prefer XQD (primary) and SD (secondary) as they are more robust. A CF card is a pain...if you are not careful bent pins are a possibility. A pretty expensive thing to repair.

d) MUCH better lens collars and tripod feet preferably Arca-Swiss compatible. Nikon consistently screws up here forcing customers to opt for 3rd party solutions that add to the overall TCO.

e) Comfortable straps for cameras and lenses. Gosh! Collaborate if you cant get it right!!

Offline VikramF

• Mentor
  • Manic
« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2014, 11:17:37 AM »
What would I want?? (Besides Nikon to completely replace their Service Center teams with human beings who can think .... if you've seen a few of my recent posts, you'll understand why I said that, if not - just agree as it's for the betterment of humanity).

Camera Bodies:
  • 100% viewfinders on all bodies. The only, only drawback of the D700 was this. it makes composition that much easier.
  • Ability to set a limit to the shutter speed when using auto-iso (this is just a software fix so I can't see why it can't be implemented across all bodies).
  • Real-time feedback on the display of the focus-distance. I can see that info on the EXIF file, so I know it's being measured somewhere ... why can't it be shown in the viewfinder? It would be great for setting hyperfocal distances.
  • A better implemented intervalometer .... in its present avataar, it really does require you to keep the manual handy while using it. And hey - why not put it into all bodies - it's just software.
  • Focus peaking would be awesome!!
  • Fewer buttons ... Take a look at Fuji ...that is THE most sensible way of setting aperture, shutter speed, ISO, Exposure compensation ... why do Canikon have to complicate it so much?
  • For Canon only: Give up making your own sensors. Get Sony's. You suck at it. They obviously don't.
Lenses:
  • Nikon gave me my earlier wish of a 70-200 f/4 ... now could we have a 16-35 f/4 without the VR bit?? That just adds cost and weight to something that is usually going to be used on top of a tripod.
  • I don't mind the G-lenses, but it's a lot more intuitive to change the aperture ON the lens (see Fuji)
  • Retractable hoods. There was just such elemental simplicity to that design ... why on earth did that stop??
  • DOF Scales on all lenses. Seriously - either that or show it somehow on the camera body.
  • Hard stop infinity. I think those AFS lenses are the cause of this being removed ... bring it back!!
  • When you have hoods on camera's look at Tamron's design - it allows you to rotate a CPL without taking off the hood - all they did is leave a small notch. And as we're on hoods ... can we have a simple naming convention for hoods. I doubt there is a single person on this planet who can match your hoods to lenses on the basis of those names.
Other Stuff:
  • Twin dials on all bodies. Otherwise you're just pimping out your name (Nikon) to something that isn't a Nikon. Those single dial bodies are NOT easy and intuitive to use. All they give the people who pay your salary is a bit of a dream of owning a Nikon without the experience of owning one.
  • Get some other company to design the bags and straps you give. You guys very obviously suck at this bit.
  • Get some professionals to train your service center staff on customer satisfaction.
  • Can we have a standardised ISO scale please? It's nothing but hoodwinking consumers when you claim ISO 4 gazzillion when you find out that the 4 gazzilion ISO on one body/company is about ISO 400 on another body/company.
Am sure there's more ... ah yes!! ... fire the staff at the Nikon Service Center in Bangalore.
Vikram Franklin
98864 (PM me for the rest - I get strange calls)

Check out my FaceBook Photopage @
https://www.facebook.com/Photography.by.Vikram.Franklin

Offline yndesai

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
  • ShadowGraphy
« Reply #7 on: December 17, 2014, 02:59:11 PM »
Wishlist of this kind can never end.

I wish to use CHDK on my Sony A58.
If they made one 6mpx APSc Cam with ISO 4 gazzillion capability.

But my most simple wish is to have an electronic film roll with
FF sized sensor which could fit in those wonderfull old camera bodies
and brought them alive.
http://yndpics.blogspot.com

Best accessory of camera is 3" behind it,
And mine needs an upgrade. . . ;)

Offline Sandeep

• Trusted Member
  • Manic
« Reply #8 on: December 17, 2014, 11:09:50 PM »
Since I've moved to Fuji only recently and that too the old Xe1 with only 18-55 lens,  not sure if my inputs matter because some might have been taken care in higher models and lenses, but anyways this sounds interesting so here goes..

1. The fly-by-wire aperture ring does not feel intuitive. A proper marked ring would be nice and easier.

2. Like DSLRs, need the four way buttons to select AF points by default. It's awkward and unintuitive having to click button at bottom left while framing to change the AF point.

3. Firmware update that will set the image quality back to its original setting (in my case raw+jpeg) after I come out of the jpeg only modes. This is driving me nuts.

4. You made me taste blood of clean high iso performance, so please increase that by another stop through some firmware wizardry :-P

5. Would like to have a dedicated dial for iso(i think already in xt1?) . Loved the dials for exposure and shutter speed.

6. A color calibrated back lcd. I wonder why camera manufacturers don't find it important?

That's that.
« Last Edit: December 17, 2014, 11:13:07 PM by Sandeep »
"There is nothing worse than a sharp image of a fuzzy concept." - Ansel Adams

Offline mannusingh

• Hero
« Reply #9 on: December 18, 2014, 09:16:12 AM »
Some more from me.

The more I use my GX-7, the more I appreciate the IBIS. Yes we have lens based OIS but for all the lenses that do not have it, some kind of IBIS implementation should be there as MPs rise to stratospheric levels.

An inbuilt or external TC matched to every telephoto lenses, like that on the Nikon 800 5.6 and the Canon 200-400.

A better 2X TC by Nikon, Canon already has it for years. It cant be too tough to make a better TC

Again I repeat, light weight telephotos.

Better buffers on enthusiast camera bodies. Nikon this one is for you.

« Last Edit: December 18, 2014, 11:56:16 AM by mannusingh »
Nikon and M4/3

Offline LightWave

• Administrator
  • Hero
« Reply #10 on: December 18, 2014, 11:11:54 AM »
Well the D vs G deoesn't apply to me as there are no manual aperture ring lenses in the EF mount line up. But is Nikon even introducing any new D lenses? I guess all new announcements are going to be either G or S. So whatever you might achieve with the D lenses in terms of reverse mounting or using Manual ETs, you can spend a few more dollars and do with a S/G lens. I don't think companies are going to try to give us things which make us spend less :)

As for what I need .... this discussion made me lookup the ML site and since I last checked, the ML firmware for my MkIII has now appeared. So a lot of my needs should be met by that.Focus peaking, intervalometer, bracketing on steroids ....

Yes one thing mentioned above that I would like .... the distance at which the object on which I focus. I am sure it's sheer maths and can be introduced in firmware.

Offline Hankosaurus

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
« Reply #11 on: December 18, 2014, 01:57:31 PM »
Since we're just wishing here... I'd like to see a standardized mechanism whereby a sensor module can be replaced or upgraded as technology improves.  I would also like to see a mechanism whereby the sensor plane can tilt a little along the x and y axis, thereby imparting some view camera style capability to the 35mm format.

I empathize with yndesai.
...But my most simple wish is to have an electronic film roll with FF sized sensor which could fit in those wonderful old camera bodies and brought them alive.
  All I ever wanted from digital was digital film for my F2.  But it wasn't to be.

:)
Henry
A Certified Dinosaur
D700, F, F2, M3

Some say that those of us who like to talk about cameras should instead go and take pictures. I say we should go and also take pictures.

Offline VikramF

• Mentor
  • Manic
« Reply #12 on: December 18, 2014, 02:46:28 PM »
...But my most simple wish is to have an electronic film roll with FF sized sensor which could fit in those wonderful old camera bodies and brought them alive.
  All I ever wanted from digital was digital film for my F2.  But it wasn't to be.

Pity this didn't come about to be:

http://www.wired.com/2011/04/digital-film-concept-could-resurrect-dead-film-cameras/
Vikram Franklin
98864 (PM me for the rest - I get strange calls)

Check out my FaceBook Photopage @
https://www.facebook.com/Photography.by.Vikram.Franklin

Offline xenocarcinus

• Rookie
« Reply #13 on: December 18, 2014, 03:08:19 PM »
You can use this post every year from here on by changing year from 2015 to 2016 to 2017 and so on....

Full Frame Pentax camera !!!

hahaha

nuf said...

Offline yndesai

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
  • ShadowGraphy
http://yndpics.blogspot.com

Best accessory of camera is 3" behind it,
And mine needs an upgrade. . . ;)