Hello Guest

Author Topic: Photography Best Practices  (Read 2941 times)

Offline theqca

• Hero
    • Framed For Life
Photography Best Practices
« on: January 14, 2014, 10:41:25 PM »
Moving this here for archival purposes

BEST PRACTICES
Some tips handed down to me by different photographers in random order?some I?ve met in person?some online...these are their best practices?its not the only way of doing things?. most of these tips worked for me..posting them here in case they work for you .

1) Silica gel & tupperware boxes ? I always use them?keeps the moisture out?I don?t leave a single camera or lens out ever (unless it?s being used).Every single thing goes back into the box the minute im done using it.

2) Storage cabinets ? I?ve never personally used these however most serious shooters have them...please buy one if you can afford one?especially if you live by the sea

3) Use smaller cards?use a larger number of cards instead of 1 card of a larger size (what size depends on which camera you use and how large your RAW / Jpeg files are)?its easier to transfer data from a smaller card?you needn?t wait forever when in the field?batteries can run out while transferring?in case the  card fails you don?t lose all your images.

4) Take a test shot after you?ve formatted the card and before you start your shoot - check the preview.

5) Use a card reader or push the memory card into your laptop to copy the images..dont use the USB cable as its slower?unless of course ur shooting by connecting the camera to your laptop and storing images directly on the HDD.

6) Pracice the art of focussing manually - there will be times when even that high end equipment of yours will refuse to lock focus - instead of missing the shot while trying to figure out whats wrong - take the pic first using manual focus and then you can sit and check whats wrong with the auto focus.

7) Risk overexposure as much as you can without blowing out the highlights.

8) The lens comes with two caps?one for each end?when you remove them and put the lens on the camera?fix these two caps to each other and put them in the bag?the last thing you want to do is search of your lens caps when you need to change the lens?

9) Carry some water and some sandwiches / chocolates with you when you are out on a photo shoot..you may have planned on coming back in an hour?but you usually end up spending more time clicking?

10) If you are shooting with friends?split after you reach the location?focus on the pics not the people in the group..?there?s always time for networking / dating / discussing / making friends once ur done with the shoot.

11) The only time you ever need to use that flash that pops up from the camera is when its nice and sunny and ur using it as flash-fill  however we forget to use the pop-up flash when there's bright sunlight!!

12) Don?t take a photograph if it creates an adverse impact - environmentally, culturally or socially.

13) When you get back, reset the camera to your normal settings (im assuming you don?t normally shoot in auto mode do you?).

14) Remember to clean your tripod / monopod legs - I always forget to do that

« Last Edit: June 28, 2017, 03:44:06 PM by theqca »
Nikon FM(black), Nikon FG, Nikon D700, Nikon FM(silver), Nikon FM10, Pentax Spotmatic, Zenith TTL, Minox Wetzlar, Agfa Optima III, Yashica & Rollei rangefinders etc

28mm 2.8, 70-300vr, 200mm f4, 50mm 1.4, 55mm 2.8 macro, 50mm 1.8, 16mm 2.8, 70-210 f4 macro, Lensbaby, Helios 44 f2, 90mm macro, etc

Offline Hankosaurus

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
Re: Photography Best Practices
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2014, 02:34:06 AM »
Good idea, Ayaz.

And a good precedent. PCI should be a very stable and safe place to put things that we would not want to disappear.  I've been looking for my humor about automation in 1954, but I cannot find it. All gone, I guess.

:)
Henry
A Certified Dinosaur
D700, F, F2, M3

Some say that those of us who like to talk about cameras should instead go and take pictures. I say we should go and also take pictures.

Offline Jasii

• Trusted Member
  • Hero
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2014, 09:54:17 AM »
Great Compilation Ayaaz ji. I had missed seeing this on JJMPF. Have a bit of discord with No7.

I have a canon 600d which came with a couple of cd's that had software, utils etc. One such is the 'EOS utility', amongst various things it allows transfer of images from cam to your pc and does it in a jiffy, the trick is to switch the cam on just while the util is loading, additionally it saves the images date wise in different  folders that makes archiving so much easy. Also saves the wear n tear both to the card connectors and the corresponding receptors in the cam that would result from repeated removal and re-insertion of the card. Just my 2 bit sir :)

Rgds, 
A Year young with my DSLR and loving it.........
Gear: Canon 600d + 18-55, +55-250

Offline Pankajkumars

• Manic
  • I Love this forum.
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2014, 11:08:29 AM »
Thanks for sharing. Reading again make us fresh.
----------------------------------------------

www.flickr.com/pankajks
www.500px.com/pankaj

Offline koolseen

• Hero
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2014, 11:33:23 AM »
Good One Ayaz... Agree with most / All of them :)

Offline sambk

• Manic
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2014, 04:42:02 PM »
Many thanks Ayaz for this compilation.

Offline yndesai

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
  • ShadowGraphy
« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2014, 03:58:20 PM »
I like the KISS (Keep it simple stupid) some gr8 tips Plastic bag is worth gold.
Newspaper is a good idea but I prefer to wear my old denim and let not bother
about clothes while shooting.

I forget following at times so adding my.

26. Leave space in the frame you click, you will need it to crop in post processing.

yndesai
http://yndpics.blogspot.com
http://yndpics.blogspot.com

Best accessory of camera is 3" behind it,
And mine needs an upgrade. . . ;)

Offline drgap

• Trusted Member
  • Hero
« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2014, 05:31:32 PM »
pratical points listed, very good.

a few points about battery charging, taking care of batteries in bag or bag,

taking care of filters, cleaning the dust from the body after everyphotoshoot can be added

Offline Nikon

• Regular
« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2014, 08:01:19 PM »
Thanks for sharing the inormation