Hello Guest

Author Topic: Shooting Black & White  (Read 3050 times)

Offline theqca

• Hero
    • Framed For Life
Shooting Black & White
« on: November 22, 2014, 09:04:06 PM »
Black & White

I?ve seen a sudden spurt in black and white photos. The facebook B&W challenge seems to have helped the ?lets convert my photos to b&w? drive. Some photos are good..some not so good?some are  plain terrible

-   Composition is very important. There are no bright colours to camouflage weak composition. Follow the rules of composition unless you really know what you are doing

-   Think about contrast, check texture, try and search for patterns, look for lines ? get all of these into the photograph

-   Look for 50 shades of grey (no not the book).

-   Visualize a particular scene without all the colour that you see in front of you before you press the button.

-   Look for subjects where there is high contrast and a wide range of exposure in the photo ? these usually make great black and white photographs.

-   Look for subjects where the light isn?t all that great. Dull flat light also makes good black and white images if you?ve got strong composition.

-   A ?normal? landscape type sunset or sunrise may not look very good in black and white. Learn to think in black and white before you take the pic. Think, identify and learn the type of shots that look good in black and white.

HDRs & Long exposures

Try out black and white HDRs..try out long exposures. I don?t shoot HDRs so haven?t done them. Some people like Brendon do. Ask him for more details. He's busy here shooting something that my weak eyesight couldn't see ;)

« Last Edit: June 28, 2017, 03:01:26 PM by theqca »
Nikon FM(black), Nikon FG, Nikon D700, Nikon FM(silver), Nikon FM10, Pentax Spotmatic, Zenith TTL, Minox Wetzlar, Agfa Optima III, Yashica & Rollei rangefinders etc

28mm 2.8, 70-300vr, 200mm f4, 50mm 1.4, 55mm 2.8 macro, 50mm 1.8, 16mm 2.8, 70-210 f4 macro, Lensbaby, Helios 44 f2, 90mm macro, etc

Offline WILD CAT

• Trusted Member
  • Loyalist
Re: Black & White photography
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2014, 10:48:59 AM »
Good write up Ayaz..could you add the colors which would stand out in monochrome?

Offline theqca

• Hero
    • Framed For Life
Re: Black & White photography
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2014, 05:56:37 PM »
Thanks....I havent found any particular colours that look better..i mostly look for tones and contrast.

Perhaps Vikram could help you with inputs on the colour bit...
Nikon FM(black), Nikon FG, Nikon D700, Nikon FM(silver), Nikon FM10, Pentax Spotmatic, Zenith TTL, Minox Wetzlar, Agfa Optima III, Yashica & Rollei rangefinders etc

28mm 2.8, 70-300vr, 200mm f4, 50mm 1.4, 55mm 2.8 macro, 50mm 1.8, 16mm 2.8, 70-210 f4 macro, Lensbaby, Helios 44 f2, 90mm macro, etc

Offline saiki

• Trusted Member
  • Manic
  • From Canon camp
Re: Shooting Black & White
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2014, 11:51:46 PM »
Good one Ayaz..... :like:
Which of my photographs is my favorite? The one I?m going to take tomorrow. ? Imogen Cunningham

Offline Krishnendu

• Regular
    • Flickr
Re: Shooting Black & White
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2015, 10:41:11 PM »
Beautiful post. Nice pics along with write-up. Thanks.
I am a learner with Nikon Gear.

Facebook - www.facebook.com/krishnendu1