Hello Guest

Author Topic: Black Rapid Camera strap Knockoffs  (Read 3518 times)

Offline Monstermayank

• Rookie
Black Rapid Camera strap Knockoffs
« on: October 30, 2014, 11:25:37 PM »
Hi,

I want to buy a side sling camera strap, The Black Rapid one is quite popular and garner great reviews but to me the price of 5k is too much for a camera strap. I saw a few knock offs on the net and came across one by Caden, I dont know much about the brand, if somebody here uses a strap of that kind then please suggest which one should I go for and for how much did you get it for. The link to the one I'm talking about is here

http://shopping.rediff.com/product/caden-camera-quick-rapid-shoulder-neck-strap-belt-for-canon-nikon-sony-olym/12365823

Offline theqca

• Hero
    • Framed For Life
Re: Black Rapid Camera strap Knockoffs
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2014, 11:50:31 PM »
I tried a similar strap (focus F1) at a camera store...also tried out another side sling type camera strap during one of my photo trips as a friend of mine had it on his camera.

My opinion is that these straps are excellent if you are one of those new breed of photographers (IT man with big pay packet who's purchased a DSLR because it looks cool). Its also an excellent thing to buy if you want to look "cool"

In real world usage - I found it to be not too good...the camera / lens hits ur legs and or other objects while you walk around. It starts hurting the shoulder if you've got a heavy lens. Some of these straps need to be screwed onto the bottom of the camera body so you need to take it off every-time you want to use a tripod / monopod. Incase one of those connectors breaks or is not screwed in properly the camera can fall and in most cases, break (a normal strap is fixed at 2 ends..the chances of both ends breaking together are rare - in case this does happen its also a sign that god no longer likes you and you are now on your own)

I would recommend a normal strap (the kind that goes around the neck) however a better padded strap that the one that comes with the camera if comfort and ease of use are your primary requirements. If looking "cool" is more important then go ahead and buy this strap or the Focus F1 i mentioned earlier..they sure do look better and more hip than the camera uncle type straps old timers use ;)

ps - most of these straps are available at fort (in case ur in bombay) for a price between Rs 700 to Rs 1300 depending on the model and the make
« Last Edit: October 30, 2014, 11:52:44 PM by Ayaz »
Nikon FM(black), Nikon FG, Nikon D700, Nikon FM(silver), Nikon FM10, Pentax Spotmatic, Zenith TTL, Minox Wetzlar, Agfa Optima III, Yashica & Rollei rangefinders etc

28mm 2.8, 70-300vr, 200mm f4, 50mm 1.4, 55mm 2.8 macro, 50mm 1.8, 16mm 2.8, 70-210 f4 macro, Lensbaby, Helios 44 f2, 90mm macro, etc

Offline Hyperdrive

• Trusted Member
  • Hero
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2014, 08:18:54 AM »
Other than the pertinent points Ayaz has mentioned, here's some more info. I NEVER use my BR Sports strap because I do not believe a camera's tripod mount is meant to support the weight of a body + lens combination when hung upside down. Also, the BR strap's weak link is the carabiner and the screw-in connector. This applies to most sling straps.

Yes, I know there are many who swear by these straps. I am not one of them and there are others who have experienced disastrous strap failures leading to their cameras and/or lenses requiring some very expensive repairs. Just Google around for BR failure. Here's one as an example - http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1238132/0

It would be better if you were to invest in a good quality padded neck strap from Op Tech, Kata, Lowepro et al. They all support the camera the way it is meant to be supported - from the 2 strap eyelets.

Offline gautam023

• Trusted Member
  • Manic
  • Learning to fly
    • 500px
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2014, 03:36:48 PM »
Ayaz, I think you are not used to those straps.

In real world usage - I found it to be not too good...the camera / lens hits ur legs and or other objects while you walk around.

These straps are meant to carry the lens around your hip and not interfere with the leg movement.

Some of these straps need to be screwed onto the bottom of the camera body so you need to take it off every-time you want to use a tripod / monopod.

There are additional BR products designed to avoid this. More money obviously.

Incase one of those connectors breaks or is not screwed in properly the camera can fall and in most cases, break (a normal strap is fixed at 2 ends..the chances of both ends breaking together are rare - in case this does happen its also a sign that god no longer likes you and you are now on your own)

Dude, even in a normal camera strap if one strap is undone, the camera would fall.  ;D ;D Have seen this with a friends D5100; fortunately, someone sitting down caught it.

Having said all this, even I find these shoulder straps a bit uncomfortable. Plus I am a bit wary about using the tripod mount for such a heavy load.
Also, the Focus/Caden is a Chinese BR knockoff and I checked it out in a store. The weakest link is the connector and it was definitely wobbly. I would never trust my camera with that. Also, I had asked about the weight carrying capacity of this strap for my 60D + 70-200 2.8 [Non IS] and the dealer candidly admitted to avoid using it.

Check out the Carry Speed Pro. It uses two plates, IIRC, to connect to the camera and the lens. It is expensive though.
Else stick to the known brands like LowePro & Kata & OpTech.
"Tezi gaadi mein nahi, chalanewale mein hoti hai"

500 px  |  Flickr

Offline mannusingh

• Hero
« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2014, 03:58:28 PM »
Let me point you in a different direction. I used the oem strap that came with my camera with the 300 f4 which I believe is the max weight you can carry handheld on a camera for an entire day. But by the end of the day chasing birds and trekking around I had a sore arms or neck carrying the lens by hand or hanging the camera by the neck mounted to the lens using the oem strap .

Now I use a Focus F1 strap to mount my 300 F4 from its tripod mount and I no longer feel its weight even after a hard day out. This is simply because the shoulder muscles are much stronger than your neck muscles and can take a lot more strain and weight than your neck. I always attach a heavy lens to the starp using the lens foot tripod mount and not the camera tripod mount. Lighter lenses can easily be carried using the strap attached to the camera tripod socket. I have personally used/carried a Nikkor 24-120 F4, 85 1.8, 50 1.4, 35-70 2.8 and Tokina 12-24 F4 without any problems like that.

I cant comment on which cheap strap is good coz I have only used a Focus F1 that I really like and use extensively.
Nikon and M4/3

Offline VikramF

• Mentor
  • Manic
« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2014, 04:09:09 PM »
So you know where I'm coming from, these are what I've used strap-wise: The OEM strap, a Matin Neoprene Strap, Crumpler Ultimate Disgrace, Kata Reflex C, BlackRapid, Gordy's Straps (neck) ....

The only one I would never use again is the OEM strap. It's just plain painful.
The Gordy neck strap, is also painful - but it looks gorgeous and is quite ok for very light cameras.
I now use the Gordy

Where I disagree with Ayaz's and Hyperdrives comments:
Gautam is right - the BR is meant to keep the camera just around the waist, not low down like a gunslingers holster so the support is actually a lot more comfortable. Infact, when I move quickly, I tend to push it a little further back to it's banging away behind me (behind and to the side). My BR screws onto my L-bracket, leaving me completely free to use a tripod. Yes, you do have to be a little mindful that you do put the screw-in connector tight and do tighten the carabiner (but then I need to ensure my lens locks in right, that the memory card is firmly inserted etc etc ... I can't see why doing that with the BR is an issue - it becomes second nature after a while). As far as metal wearing out and breaking goes - well, that can happen with any equipment and is a sign that even your camera doesn't want you touching it.

Where I agree with their comments:
A neoprene type of strap around the neck is very, very comfortable (for shorter periods of time - if you're trekking, it is NOT comfortable despite the 'give' in the neoprene taking a lot of the strain away as it just bounces all over the place. Of all the neoprene straps I've used, the plain Matin one that I bought for about 500-600 bucks was possibly the most comfortable (I sold it - to Bharat I think). It was comfortable and compact. The Crumpler is fantastic as it's got a huge broad strap, but is bulky. The Kata is somewhat of a compromise between the Matin and the Crumpler.

Ah OP!
Nope, I wouldn't go for that strap, simply as they have nothing to lose if their parts are made of low quality material and break. Either do the BR or get a neoprene strap.
Vikram Franklin
98864 (PM me for the rest - I get strange calls)

Check out my FaceBook Photopage @
https://www.facebook.com/Photography.by.Vikram.Franklin

Offline MayaV

• Hero
« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2014, 05:06:32 PM »
Could anyone suggest a good strap for 3.3 to 3.5 kg setup (70d+300mm 2.8 IS II + 2x extender III), i do have the lens strap that Canon supplies.

Cheers

Vivek

Offline Hyperdrive

• Trusted Member
  • Hero
« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2014, 05:34:47 PM »
Could anyone suggest a good strap for 3.3 to 3.5 kg setup (70d+300mm 2.8 IS II + 2x extender III), i do have the lens strap that Canon supplies.

I have been looking for a solution myself. I think most people use the OEM strap that comes with the lens.

Though I may just think of using a BR with the connector on the collar, the tripod mount on the camera is not used. :) Ditto for other lenses with tripod collars/feet on them.

Hoping to get one of these some day, Way better than a BR IMO.  http://www.kirkphoto.com/Kirk_Security_Strap.html Of course you'd need an A-S type lens foot or an A-S plate mounted on the foot before you can use the strap.

Offline theqca

• Hero
    • Framed For Life
« Reply #8 on: October 31, 2014, 06:39:03 PM »

Dude, even in a normal camera strap if one strap is undone, the camera would fall.  ;D ;D Have seen this with a friends D5100; fortunately, someone sitting down caught it.

Ancient chinese wisdom- when camera strap fixed at 2 side break - camera hang on strap connected to one side because strap break from one side at a time
If strap break from both side together - ex-girlfriend has take revenge by cutting strap from both sides.
Nikon FM(black), Nikon FG, Nikon D700, Nikon FM(silver), Nikon FM10, Pentax Spotmatic, Zenith TTL, Minox Wetzlar, Agfa Optima III, Yashica & Rollei rangefinders etc

28mm 2.8, 70-300vr, 200mm f4, 50mm 1.4, 55mm 2.8 macro, 50mm 1.8, 16mm 2.8, 70-210 f4 macro, Lensbaby, Helios 44 f2, 90mm macro, etc

Offline VikramF

• Mentor
  • Manic
« Reply #9 on: October 31, 2014, 06:52:53 PM »
Ancient chinese wisdom- when camera strap fixed at 2 side break - camera hang on strap connected to one side because strap break from one side at a time

Not unless gravity doesn't have it's own way. But yeah, you'll have about half a second before it all falls down and with the BR you won't get that half second.
Vikram Franklin

Offline theqca

• Hero
    • Framed For Life
« Reply #10 on: October 31, 2014, 09:18:50 PM »
More ancient Chinese wisdom - 1 second is difference between life and Err broken camera :-P

Offline theqca

• Hero
    • Framed For Life
« Reply #11 on: October 31, 2014, 09:21:17 PM »
Just kidding... Ur right Vikram :-)

(Err.. I'm just spelling this out so that someone doesnt get mislead into thinking the camera won't fall down if the strap breaks at one end)

Offline Hyperdrive

• Trusted Member
  • Hero
« Reply #12 on: October 31, 2014, 09:41:22 PM »
Fastening the strap to an L bracket does not in any way reduce the stress on the tripod mount/plate inside the camera body. The L plate is after all STILL connected to the tripod mount by a screw. Remember, the body & lens combo swings with every movement of the body, it is not static as it would be if it were mounted on a tripod, right side up or hanging off on the side in a portrait mode. Dynamic movements and jerks simply increase the mechanical stress on the tripod mount.

A BR simply does not work for me. There's no way I will have the camera hanging upside down from this single attachment point with a heavy lens. Too little gain, too much to lose. I might think of using a BR when attached to a lens with a lens foot, & still prefer the A-S clamp combination used in the Kirk security strap though I reserve my judgement till I actually buy and use one.

Some more reading about a warped tripod base plate on a D800. These are real users, not reviewers. http://www.dpreview.com/forums/thread/3338762

Offline VikramF

• Mentor
  • Manic
« Reply #13 on: October 31, 2014, 09:57:50 PM »
Fastening the strap to an L bracket does not in any way reduce the stress on the tripod mount/plate inside the camera body. The L plate is after all STILL connected to the tripod mount by a screw. Remember, the body & lens combo swings with every movement of the body, it is not static as it would be if it were mounted on a tripod, right side up or hanging off on the side in a portrait mode. Dynamic movements and jerks simply increase the mechanical stress on the tripod mount.

A BR simply does not work for me. There's no way I will have the camera hanging upside down from this single attachment point with a heavy lens. Too little gain, too much to lose. I might think of using a BR when attached to a lens with a lens foot, & still prefer the A-S clamp combination used in the Kirk security strap though I reserve my judgement till I actually buy and use one.

Some more reading about a warped tripod base plate on a D800. These are real users, not reviewers. http://www.dpreview.com/forums/thread/3338762

You want to get REALLY worried? Look up the number of lens mounts ripped completely off bodies when users hold onto the body instead of the lens (obviously when using heavy lenses like the 70-200 2.8 upwards). Heavy lenses need to be supported at the lens foot and not body. So you have no arguments from me on that part. So I'd be using the BR connected to the lens foot in those cases and there would be zero stress on the tripod mount screw.
Vikram Franklin

Offline Hyperdrive

• Trusted Member
  • Hero
« Reply #14 on: October 31, 2014, 10:07:31 PM »
You want to get REALLY worried? Look up the number of lens mounts ripped completely off bodies when users hold onto the body instead of the lens (obviously when using heavy lenses like the 70-200 2.8 upwards). Heavy lenses need to be supported at the lens foot and not body. So you have no arguments from me on that part. So I'd be using the BR connected to the lens foot in those cases and there would be zero stress on the tripod mount screw.

Agree, there are many who inadvertently pick up the body with a heavy lens mounted only to see the lens mount warp or probably even come right off. Not a nice picture.

But yes, I am careful if I have heavy (for me 1 Kg and over) glass mounted on the camera, no sudden lifting of the cam + lens assembly and all that.

I'd prefer using the lens foot for a sling strap of any kind...though my experience is limited to OEM straps that are attached to the strap eyelets on the lens barrel. Hope to buy that Kirk contraption some day.