Hello Guest

Author Topic: Award winning picture ?????  (Read 2560 times)

Offline gautam023

• Trusted Member
  • Manic
  • Learning to fly
    • 500px
Award winning picture ?????
« on: October 24, 2014, 10:05:56 AM »
This picture taken in Serngeti, I think, has won the best wildlife picture or something big time.

The news can be read here.

I liked the picture a lot. But staring hard at it, I can see a tilted horizon, which is bang in the middle of the frame. So are these basic rules [or guidelines] applicable only for those posting pictures online on forums. I am sure if Micheal Nichols posted this under a false name on DPReview before the prizes were announced, he would have been torn apart for thees points.

What do you guys think, both about the picture and about this hypocrisy?
"Tezi gaadi mein nahi, chalanewale mein hoti hai"

500 px  |  Flickr

Offline Hyperdrive

• Trusted Member
  • Hero
Re: Award winning picture ?????
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2014, 10:19:49 AM »
I think this is a great photograph only because of the visual impact of the scene. We spend too much time debating technicalities, rules and regulations in photos. Thing is, last I checked photography was touted to be an "art"...not engineering.  :) Therefore, as with all things related to the arts, be it painting, sculptures, music and of course photography, everything about a photo is subjective and individuals differ in their opinions. So there's no right and wrong.

My rule of the thumb - if it appeals to my eyes, that's it. The rest be damned.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2014, 12:26:17 PM by Hyperdrive »

Offline Subhadip

• Trusted Member
  • Hero
    • My Website
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2014, 11:09:51 AM »
Rules are meant to be broken??? Debatable...
Mad about Nikon... :)

Offline theqca

• Hero
    • Framed For Life
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2014, 11:29:30 AM »
The photo would have looked better if he'd thought about the horizon... Theres a difference between breaking the rules to make a photo better vs being sloppy
Nikon FM(black), Nikon FG, Nikon D700, Nikon FM(silver), Nikon FM10, Pentax Spotmatic, Zenith TTL, Minox Wetzlar, Agfa Optima III, Yashica & Rollei rangefinders etc

28mm 2.8, 70-300vr, 200mm f4, 50mm 1.4, 55mm 2.8 macro, 50mm 1.8, 16mm 2.8, 70-210 f4 macro, Lensbaby, Helios 44 f2, 90mm macro, etc

Offline somnath goswami

• Trusted Member
  • Hero
« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2014, 11:40:36 AM »
There also is a distinct possibility that the horizon was slanting itself and the Photographer wanted to present it "as it is"

cheers
Somnath

Offline theqca

• Hero
    • Framed For Life
« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2014, 01:22:43 PM »
There also is a distinct possibility that the horizon was slanting itself and the Photographer wanted to present it "as it is"

cheers
Somnath

:D :D :D im surprised the water didnt drain out from one side due to the tilt :p
Nikon FM(black), Nikon FG, Nikon D700, Nikon FM(silver), Nikon FM10, Pentax Spotmatic, Zenith TTL, Minox Wetzlar, Agfa Optima III, Yashica & Rollei rangefinders etc

28mm 2.8, 70-300vr, 200mm f4, 50mm 1.4, 55mm 2.8 macro, 50mm 1.8, 16mm 2.8, 70-210 f4 macro, Lensbaby, Helios 44 f2, 90mm macro, etc

Offline somnath goswami

• Trusted Member
  • Hero
« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2014, 02:18:45 PM »

cheers
Somnath

:D :D :D im surprised the water didnt drain out from one side due to the tilt :p
Most probably there is a compensating reverse tilt in the bed of water. If PCI funds me I can take the trouble of actuality getting there and present a thorough report regarding the matter.
Regards
Somnath

Offline theqca

• Hero
    • Framed For Life
« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2014, 02:26:08 PM »
Sounds like a good plan... Dr Rajesh are u listening?

:-D

Offline LightWave

• Administrator
  • Hero
« Reply #8 on: October 24, 2014, 05:28:31 PM »
Perhaps if pci card charges are made 2k per card :D

Offline VikramF

• Mentor
  • Manic
« Reply #9 on: October 25, 2014, 12:41:28 AM »
A tilted horizon is just sloppy and as great as the sky is, I'd have preferred to have more emphasis on the pride by putting at at the top thirds. Infact if I cut it just below the circular break in the clouds, it already looks much better.

Yes, it would have been torn apart in any forum which doesn't only promote 'great shot!'

Perhaps the award was as he shot this with a 14mm while facing a dozen lions?  :P
Vikram Franklin
98864 (PM me for the rest - I get strange calls)

Check out my FaceBook Photopage @
https://www.facebook.com/Photography.by.Vikram.Franklin

Offline PixelHunter

• Trusted Member
  • Hero
  • Learning something new everyday..
« Reply #10 on: October 25, 2014, 10:58:15 PM »
Isn't the horizon slightly on the upper half of the frame rather than bang in the middle? Yeah it is definitely tilted though. That being said I liked the picture a lot. The sky is dramatic and so is the light. I am doubtful that i would have taken this spot even if i was there at that time. Shooting a pride of lion with a 14mm is definitely not my cup of tea. The Photographer is damn courageous and lucky..
"The best camera is the one that's with you" Chase Jarvis

Offline VikramF

• Mentor
  • Manic
« Reply #11 on: October 25, 2014, 11:16:12 PM »
. I am doubtful that i would have taken this spot even if i was there at that time. Shooting a pride of lion with a 14mm is definitely not my cup of tea. The Photographer is damn courageous and lucky..

I was kidding about the 14mm, just trying to say that I don't think it's that great  ;)  (it is an awesome shot, just not award worthy IMHO).

FYI: it was shot at 32mm and is an infrared pic shot with a 5Dmk3 from a vehicle.

Vikram Franklin
98864 (PM me for the rest - I get strange calls)

Check out my FaceBook Photopage @
https://www.facebook.com/Photography.by.Vikram.Franklin

Offline Hankosaurus

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
« Reply #12 on: October 26, 2014, 03:49:49 AM »
...My rule of the thumb - if it appeals to my eyes, that's it. The rest be damned.

AMEN.
Henry
A Certified Dinosaur
D700, F, F2, M3

Some say that those of us who like to talk about cameras should instead go and take pictures. I say we should go and also take pictures.

Offline Sandeep

• Trusted Member
  • Manic
« Reply #13 on: November 05, 2014, 08:06:54 AM »
Where is it written that a horizon cannot be tilted? There are other important aspects in a photograph too which completely overshadow this minor technicality. It's more about visual impact,  story and rarity of the moment here.
"There is nothing worse than a sharp image of a fuzzy concept." - Ansel Adams

Offline theqca

• Hero
    • Framed For Life
« Reply #14 on: November 06, 2014, 09:39:51 AM »
Where is it written that a horizon cannot be tilted? There are other important aspects in a photograph too which completely overshadow this minor technicality. It's more about visual impact,  story and rarity of the moment here.

Ofcourse there's no stopping you if you want a tilted horizon :P

Jokes apart - The point however isnt if the photograph is "good". Its about it being award worthy.
If you start awarding "average" and "good" - what do you do with "great"?

Me thinks the pic is "good" because its got that visual impact, rarity of the moment etc etc - it would be "Great" if it had all of this + technical accuracy.