Hello Guest

Author Topic: Discussion: Rains - Lens Storage / Fungus / Shooting in the rain etc  (Read 3675 times)

Offline theqca

• Hero
    • Framed For Life
Intending this to be more of a discussion instead of a tutorial....

Putting some tips and my views on Storage / Shooting in the rains / Fungus issues etc.

Add to the thread with your tips / suggestions / ideas / experiences and questions

how often have you shot in the rains? Any experience you'd like to share? Any lessons / key learnings? (feel free to add pics if you want)

=====================================================

Equipment storage and usage tips

At present, the best storage solution imho as of today is to buy something commonly called a dehumidifying cabinet.

Here?s  what it looks like (this one?s from kalabhai but you get other brands / models as well some being fully automatic) ?
http://kalabhai.com/products/photooptics/digicabi.htm

It runs on electricity and basically keeps the humidity levels under control and in turn ensures that you don?t get fungus on your equipment.

There are loads of people who will tell you ?I?ve never used a digicab and I?ve never got fungus on my lenses in the past 20 years?.
I can also show you people who?ve survived a fire, are alive and kicking after crashing a car into a truck etc etc?it doesn?t really prove anything.

The point I?m trying to make is that the best  and easiest option today is the sort of cabinet I?ve mentioned above. There are however other options available for storage. You need to decide what works best for you.

Do not leave your equipment in your camera bag.

That?s one of the best ways to get fungus (even if you think you?ve done the right thing by dropping in a few packets of silica gel).

Use the camera bag only for carrying the camera not for storage.

Don?t leave ur equipement in any cold, damp, dark humid place like that nice cupboard near the window either.

Use the equipment often ? air it?take it out in the sun. There are some people who leave their equipment out in the sun like you?d do to your body if you wanted a tan...i personally don?t ever do this because I feel it would ruin some of the movement / rubber seals, lubricants etc.

What to do if you get your camera / lenses wet

The short answer is dry everything asap. Use a towel, use whatever you have, use your tshirt etc but dry it ASAP.

If you are out shooting, keep wiping your equipment when it gets water droplets on them

Usually the higher end camera bodies are more ?weather sealed? than the lower end bodies. Please note however ?weather sealed? is not the same as ?Water proof?.

If your equipment is ?soaked? ? stop using it. The electrical circuits will give you problems.

If your camera has been drenched and suddenly stops working -  Leave it off.
Remove the battery and send the camera to the service centre before you attempt to switch it on.
Now this bit of advise is based on what ideally should be done.
I know of friends who?s cameras  got soaked, went off, they turned it on again after sometime and it was working fine (yes even an entry level D3100) but that doesn?t mean that it?s the correct standard operating procedure for a camera that has been drenched in the rains.

Getting ready for a photography session during the rains

Some ?rain protection? options

-   Buy a large, strong umbrella ? depending on the weather and the place you are in, it may come in handy.

-   Get some sort of a rain cover for your camera ? locally made ones are available for a few hundred rupees. Water proof underwater cases (housings) with which you can dive with the camera are available for obviously a lot more. Take your pick.

-   Carry some plastic bags with you and a pair of scissors and rubber bands. In an emergency, put the camera in the bag, cut a hole through one end for the lens to peep out, put the lens hood through (the lens shouldn?t be really outside the bag just the hood) and put a rubber band around it tightly. Shoot by holding the camera inside the bag. (Don?t push ur head inside the bag and suffocate with the plastic bag on your face..be careful)

-   Use a lens hood and a UV filter as it would help in a lesser amount of water directing hitting ur glass

Okay so I didn?t listen and my lenses have now got fungus ? what do I do?

It depends on how much fungus and where it is.
If its outside the lens ? wipe it gently / clean the glass

If its inside you have 2 options ? leave it there or get it cleaned.

Contrary to what most people new to photography think ? you can still take good pics with a lens that has fungus. So it?s not like the lens will stop working or your photos will look any different. Unless ofcourse you?ve got so much fungus that its like taking a photo via a soft focus filter ;)

« Last Edit: June 28, 2017, 04:02:07 PM by theqca »
Nikon FM(black), Nikon FG, Nikon D700, Nikon FM(silver), Nikon FM10, Pentax Spotmatic, Zenith TTL, Minox Wetzlar, Agfa Optima III, Yashica & Rollei rangefinders etc

28mm 2.8, 70-300vr, 200mm f4, 50mm 1.4, 55mm 2.8 macro, 50mm 1.8, 16mm 2.8, 70-210 f4 macro, Lensbaby, Helios 44 f2, 90mm macro, etc

Offline Jasii

• Trusted Member
  • Hero
Re: Discussion: Rains - Lens Storage / Fungus / Shooting in the rain etc
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2014, 03:01:29 PM »
Great, well written, well meant advice!
A Q here, where to buy those small satchets of silica gel? Any link? I don't want to buy the bulk stuff that is sold in kgs.
A Year young with my DSLR and loving it.........
Gear: Canon 600d + 18-55, +55-250

Offline barandur

• Rookie
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2014, 07:20:49 PM »
Thanks jasii ji, i had the same question. Also why do you suggest take out front and rear cap?

Thanks for good writeup ayaz.

Offline theqca

• Hero
    • Framed For Life
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2014, 09:57:07 PM »
The one in packets is available at most of the photo accessory stores.  Should also be available at chemists.

Photographers usually buy the one in bulk.. I remember G2, Brendon and me had picked some up a few years ago and it was far cheaper.. U need to put it into cloth packets.

Just check which silica gel ur buying though.. Lots of types available.. Some cancerous when heated.

You also need to know when to throw it out or reheat.

Nikon FM(black), Nikon FG, Nikon D700, Nikon FM(silver), Nikon FM10, Pentax Spotmatic, Zenith TTL, Minox Wetzlar, Agfa Optima III, Yashica & Rollei rangefinders etc

28mm 2.8, 70-300vr, 200mm f4, 50mm 1.4, 55mm 2.8 macro, 50mm 1.8, 16mm 2.8, 70-210 f4 macro, Lensbaby, Helios 44 f2, 90mm macro, etc

Offline theqca

• Hero
    • Framed For Life
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2014, 09:59:14 PM »
I'm suggesting u remove the caps to get light into the lens / let the humidity out - create an environment that fungus does not like

Offline barandur

• Rookie
« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2014, 10:00:49 PM »
Thanks Ayaz

Offline LightWave

• Administrator
  • Hero
« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2014, 11:31:15 AM »
Those are very practical tips. I recently had to shoot a bit in mild drizzle. Carried a garbage bag to wrap the camera/lens combination. Didn't carry any additional lenses. Not about to change lenses in the rains.
If you can get a friend with an umbrella to help out, even better. Scout around, look for potential angles to shoot. Areas where you can take shelter.

Another important aspect is not the gear but safety. Sometimes it's easy to sliip and fall because our mind is too pre-occupied with the camera and its protection getting photos. Watch the terrain and your footing.

Offline Fake ID

• Trusted Member
  • Hero
  • Photographers Club Of India
    • Photographers Club of India
« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2014, 06:01:42 PM »
Good Tips Ayaz bhai , thanks for sharing :)

Will be helpfull to all members here on PCI

anil george
Canon Gear 5D Mark III,Lens : 24-105 f/4 L IS USM, 70-200 f/2.8 L IS II USM, 16-35mm f/4 IS USM,Extender 2x III, Elinchrom 400 FXR, Speedlite 600 EX- RT,Continous Lights, Backdrops, monopad with Manfrotto MHXPRO3W X-PRO 3-Way Head etc.
Website: www.photographersclubofindia.com - (By Invitation Only)

Offline samraj

• Regular
« Reply #8 on: August 12, 2014, 06:02:36 PM »
Thanks for tips .... long needed in rains ..... ordered one of digicabinets from snapdeal benro 68L for 14885.00 Is it worth ?????

Offline VikramF

• Mentor
  • Manic
« Reply #9 on: August 12, 2014, 06:30:19 PM »
..... ordered one of digicabinets from snapdeal benro 68L for 14885.00 Is it worth ??? ??

Bit too late to ask that question now isn't it? I mean, you've already ordered it, so why second guess yourself?

If the equipment it's protecting is worth even 4 times what you paid for it, I'd think it was worth it. 68L means you've got a ton of equipment so I'm guessing you're in the 8-10 times range - definitely worth it!
Vikram Franklin
98864 (PM me for the rest - I get strange calls)

Check out my FaceBook Photopage @
https://www.facebook.com/Photography.by.Vikram.Franklin

Offline samraj

• Regular
« Reply #10 on: August 13, 2014, 06:17:54 PM »
I can cancel it :-\ I enjoy it the privilege I do not get from brick and mortar shop I don't even understand the size in terms of LTS. But do you think price is worth 15k for 68 LTS. I have 1 body and 3 lenses 1,flash.  BTW can I keep the flag gun in it ? . thanks in advance

Offline VikramF

• Mentor
  • Manic
« Reply #11 on: August 13, 2014, 06:34:26 PM »
I can cancel it :-\ I enjoy it the privilege I do not get from brick and mortar shop I don't even understand the size in terms of LTS. But do you think price is worth 15k for 68 LTS. I have 1 body and 3 lenses 1,flash.  BTW can I keep the flag gun in it ? . thanks in advance

Yes the price is decent. You'd normally get about 40L for around 10-11k, so this seems good (anyone else care to comment?).
You can put anything you like in that can benefit from standardised humidity levels. So yes, the flash can go in too.
68L is a bit large for your equipment list - but if you're planning on buying more in the future atleast you won't need to buy another dry cabinet.
Vikram Franklin
98864 (PM me for the rest - I get strange calls)

Check out my FaceBook Photopage @
https://www.facebook.com/Photography.by.Vikram.Franklin

Offline samraj

• Regular
« Reply #12 on: August 13, 2014, 06:51:45 PM »
Ok thanks .. Vikram .. So I can stick with it

Offline samraj

• Regular
« Reply #13 on: August 22, 2014, 07:39:04 AM »
Hi guys
Just got the benro 68l dry cabinet sounds good to me ran on 42 for a day and kept the stuff in have set it to 44. Is it OK ??
Do I need any thing else to know ?
Do I switch off at night ??
Thanks

Offline theqca

• Hero
    • Framed For Life
« Reply #14 on: August 22, 2014, 09:25:39 AM »

Do I switch off at night ??

Nopes...just leave it on all the time.. to the best of my knowledge its not a like an air-conditioner or heating equipment / iron - it wont consume electricity in enormous quantities...