Hello Guest

Author Topic: How did your interest in Photography develop..  (Read 3756 times)

Offline PixelHunter

• Trusted Member
  • Hero
  • Learning something new everyday..
How did your interest in Photography develop..
« on: April 02, 2014, 11:28:05 AM »
Lets start another of those threads  ;D Here we discuss how our interest in photography developed or how it started in the first place.. So lets begin..
« Last Edit: April 02, 2014, 12:03:27 PM by PixelHunter »
"The best camera is the one that's with you" Chase Jarvis

Offline Rakesh J.V

• Trusted Member
  • Loyalist
Re: How did your interest in Photography develop..
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2014, 01:54:14 PM »
Mine began sometime in college. Dad bought me a  Canon Powershot G9 as a birthday gift. It was a bridge camera and I loved being able to change settings :D  . That was around the time when a photographer from Kerala (Hari Menon) was getting famous on the internet for his photography. I was completely astounded by his pictures and the very effect of getting the background blurred seemed divine :P

So with my first paycheck at my first job, I bought myself a Nikon D3100.. And that's how it started for me.

Offline Hyperdrive

• Trusted Member
  • Hero
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2014, 07:26:15 PM »
It all started with my Grandpa's Kodak Brownie (already about 30-40 years old at that time) and my Dad's brand spanking new Canon AE-1 with an F 1.7/1.8 prime lens plus his Yashica RF. This was way back when I was in primary school. Well, the rest is history :)

Offline joethephotographer

• Rookie
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2014, 09:25:22 PM »
For me it was my sister's 1000D; I was awestruck by it. It had a screen where numbers increased or decreased if I moved a little plastic wheel. I have always thought of myself as a nerd and my first experience with a DSLR left me speechless. I was unable to comprehend what all the little buttons and dials did!

That cold night in Coonoor was the beginning love-hate relationship with photography.

I moved on from a Nikon E4100 to a Canon A2000. I then discovered CHDK - http://chdk.wikia.com/wiki/CHDK and thought it was the greatest thing since digital cameras!  :D

I've been known to "develop-an-interest" in a lot of things including music (my Yamaha guitar being a testament to my rock-n-roll days). But my interest photography did not wane. I wanted to learn more, I wanted to create art.

And so I bought a proper Canon DSLR (1100D). I've been in love with photography and I think I'm here to stay.  8)
"You know you're getting serious about photography when you stop attaching a lens to your camera and start attaching a camera to your lens" - Not Me

Offline Madhav Bhakta

• Hero
  • I love to see things from Viewfinder
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2014, 11:08:41 PM »
From childhood days, I used to play with Toy cameras. I had lots and lots of different toy cameras. When I was in 5th standard, I got the Twin Lens reflex camera from my uncle (though it wasn't working but I can able to see the image from top of the camera). Holding that camera itself was joy for me.

In 2005, I bought my first camera Canon S2 IS (Prosumer camera with 12x zoom). My pocket didn't allowed me to buy a Nikon D50 at that time. :( 

In January 2012, I bought my first DSLR Canon 50D and the real photography journey has been started.
Canon 7D, Canon 100mm f2.8 USM Macro, Tamron 17-50mm f2.8, Canon 55-250mm IS, Vivitar 28mm f2.8, Opteka 6.5mm f3.5 Fisheye Lens, Raynox DCR 250, Benro 1980F, Fancierstudio 6664 Ballhead, 4 Way Macro Rail.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/m_bhakt/

Offline Hot Shoe

• Hero
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2014, 12:19:14 AM »
I chose to get into a marine related job when I was 19 years old and it had been globe trotting ever since. What better way could one preserve those memories of life at sea, the ports visited, the typhoons, the Suez Canal, the Panama Canal or the view of the Manhattan skyline from Hoboken - on film of course ! My first camera was a Kodak Instamatic purchased in the U.S. and it used a film cartridge of just 12 frames. Pictures taken with that camera still exist in albums at home. Now that those days are over for good, my Nikon DSLR keeps me happy on 'terra firma' !!  :D
Nikon D7000   /// Nikkor 35mm 1.8G  50mm 1.8D   55-300mm  // Tamron 17-50 f2.8  90mm f2.8 Macro  // Sigma 10-20mm f4-5.6  /// Yongnuo 460 II  560 III  /// Vanguard Alta Pro 263AT // Rollei Pro BH611

Offline yndesai

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
  • ShadowGraphy
« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2014, 07:10:20 AM »
In school days I used to be good at object and building drawings. I was
too bad at human and animal figures. Always was amazed by the capability
of a camera to recreate the scene.

I would borrow P&S Film camera from my uncle in college days to capture
moments (which my family charrish today). Being budget conscious I did lot of home videos.

Finally temptation to click birds got me to bite the bullet and buy a DSLR. I had been
too technical in clicking photographs.
With DSLR and PCI friends here I am getting serious on learning the "ART" of photography.
http://yndpics.blogspot.com

Best accessory of camera is 3" behind it,
And mine needs an upgrade. . . ;)

Offline joethephotographer

• Rookie
« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2014, 11:17:37 AM »
In school days I used to be good at object and building drawings. I was
too bad at human and animal figures.

I was alway bad at free-hand drawing, and I still am.  ;D

Engineering Drawing came to my rescue and I can finally make a decent drawing using a scale and a pencil.  :)
"You know you're getting serious about photography when you stop attaching a lens to your camera and start attaching a camera to your lens" - Not Me

Offline shooter

• Hero
« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2014, 12:10:54 PM »
Mine was something....I saw my dad taking photos from his minolta srt super with so many lenses. Lateron, when I was in 6th grade, I became interested in photography. He gave me an Olympus PEN EE3 camera, where I practiced composition. I shifted to the minolta srt super system in 8th grade, with a 50mm 1.4 lens(back then, I didn't understand much, what an 1.4 lens can do, or how expensive it is).My dad first taught me to focus, and assay the light. I used to predict exposure(he didn't provide me with the light meter battery), and focus in low light. Viewing the world with the viewfinder of an SLR was joy. Then, slowly i started to use films, and blew up countless frames. Every time I used to make an exposure, I used to make a note of it in a small notebook, and when the prints came, I used to do self assay. I was not allowed to touch any other lens except for that 50mm lens until I was in 11th grade. This is how I developed the interest in photography and this is how I learnt it. My learning doesn't end here, still a long way to go... 

Offline yndesai

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
  • ShadowGraphy
« Reply #9 on: April 06, 2014, 07:54:10 PM »

Engineering Drawing came to my rescue and I can finally make a decent drawing using a scale and a pencil.  :)

Same here. Finally used AutoCad more than any other software. . .  ;D
http://yndpics.blogspot.com

Best accessory of camera is 3" behind it,
And mine needs an upgrade. . . ;)

Offline theqca

• Hero
    • Framed For Life
« Reply #10 on: April 12, 2014, 09:27:34 AM »
Interesting to read these posts..

My journey in photography started in school..

I went a Jesuit school and the principal, an Italian called Fr Casale was an avid photographer and historian who shot with Pentax.

The school used to have annual trips to places of historical significance and on one of those trips he let me try his camera out since i was inquisitive..a few minutes of looking at it and I was hooked.

He also took the trouble then to teach me a bit about how the camera works... some basics of photography.

I remember the first wide angle photo Id taken was at fatehpur sikri with his old pentax and wide angle lens.

The school had a dark room where we could develop the photos and we had classes for those who were interested..i took those classes and fiddled around a bit...

I continue to hold on to a pentax spotmatic with a 35mm lens...nice camera..still works :)
« Last Edit: April 12, 2014, 02:58:28 PM by Ayaz »
Nikon FM(black), Nikon FG, Nikon D700, Nikon FM(silver), Nikon FM10, Pentax Spotmatic, Zenith TTL, Minox Wetzlar, Agfa Optima III, Yashica & Rollei rangefinders etc

28mm 2.8, 70-300vr, 200mm f4, 50mm 1.4, 55mm 2.8 macro, 50mm 1.8, 16mm 2.8, 70-210 f4 macro, Lensbaby, Helios 44 f2, 90mm macro, etc

Offline shooter

• Hero
« Reply #11 on: April 12, 2014, 01:54:48 PM »
Binoy da, share your inspiration too....

Offline manoja2k

• Rookie
« Reply #12 on: May 26, 2014, 12:40:21 PM »
My interest in photography started during my school days. I remember in class VII picnic I borrowed a Kodak camera from a friend of mine shot two films of ORWO b/w. Surprisingly all the snaps came out very good (each snaps got copied on an average 5 - 7) and I became a mini-celebrity in the residential school. I had to maintain my image..
All my shootings usually happened with borrowed cameras. I became the member of photography club in my college and learnt a bit about film development.
I got my first camera (a Praktica SLR) when I started working. But again photography is an expensive hobby and I used to dally with photography time and again till I reached a stage where I believe the technology as well as my pocket has allowed me to to be able to get involved on a more regular basis.

Offline PixelHunter

• Trusted Member
  • Hero
  • Learning something new everyday..
« Reply #13 on: May 26, 2014, 06:01:41 PM »
I almost forgot about this thread. Thanks Manoj ji for reviving it. To be honest, I was attracted towards photography from a very early age but I never took it seriously enough to take it as a hobby. I just loved to shoot and I used to shoot with my fathers Konica Pop film P&S camera every now and then. Then, during my college days, when mobile cameras became decent enough, I clicked with mobile for many days. Then after I joined job, I graduated to a digital Kodak P&S and I think , thats when I started to take photography a bit seriously. I started reading about compositions and also started paying attention to different elements in my framing. I kept shooting with that camera for a good two years. But as I progressed, I began to feel the limitations of the Kodak, like lack of manual control, inferior ISO performance, large DOF, limited choice of FL etc. Then at last I graduated to a Nikon D3100 and started taking photography seriously. Thats my story..  :)
"The best camera is the one that's with you" Chase Jarvis

Offline Hankosaurus

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
« Reply #14 on: September 06, 2014, 04:09:48 AM »
Hi Guys.

Thanks, Binoy, for the initiative.  It's interesting to learn how photography became a part of each of our lives.  I will try to add a snapshot about my fascination with this hobby.

My first recollection of caring anything about how a camera works started when I was about ten years old, about 1957.  I made a camera-like toy with a shoebox, a cardboard tube, and a lens taken from a cheap set of folding binoculars.  Maybe you remember those binoculars.  They folded up to about the size of a cigarette pack and fit into the pocket.   Anyway, I played with that box and lens, observing how it projected an image of the real world onto the back of the shoebox, only backwards and upside down.  Then I more or less forgot that toy.

A little time later, I was gifted a simple box camera having the form factor of a TLR.  I recall that it came from Hong Kong, but I cannot remember the name of it.  It had about three apertures, holes punched into a rotating disk.  I think it was fixed focus, as I have no recollection of a focus control.  The lens was not coated.

Anyway, I had been studying art in school about that time, and I recall looking at the reversed image in that TLR's viewfinder while thinking about things my art teacher had been saying about composition.  So, given that then was the first time I had ever looked into a loaded camera with "artistic intent," I guess that may have been the beginning of my life in photography.  Later, after I got out on my own and had a job, I bought a Yashica J rangefinder and a cheap hand meter.  That was my first "good" camera.

Over the next decade my interest in the hobby accelerated.  I worked in the daytime and went to university at night.  Along with my core studies I took a few courses in art and photography.  The company where I worked (AT&T) had a commercial class TV/film studio, comparable to the big networks.  I got a job in that department and had lots of fun, and learned a lot about imagemaking.  I was very fortunate to have my favorite hobby as a paying job.

In those formative years there was lots of gear lust.  I bought and traded a number of cameras back then... Yashica TL Super,  M42 glass, Nikomat, Yashica-Mat 124, Nikon F, Nikkormat, Hasselblad 500c, Nikon F2, lenses, darkroom, gadgets, filters, stuff, and more stuff.  Then, about ten years after the Yashica J, I realized something very important.  To wit, while photography was loads of fun, my pictures were not improving very much as I bought more and better gear.

After about 12 years in the studio I secured a better paying position in telecom sales.  I sold my Hasselblad gear, reasoning that 35mm was good enough for hobby pursuits.  That was a correct choice, but I admit that I do miss that 500c more than any other camera I ever parted company with.

Since that time there have been any number of GAS attacks, even though I know how that gear does not come packaged with talent.  In the nineties I became reacquainted with rangefinders.  I also developed an interest in repairing old cameras and brought a few back to life.  Rolleiflex Standard, Zeiss Ikoflex, Voigtlander Vito II, Practica FX, Bolsey Jubilee, Kiev 4a, and some MF glass come to mind.

In the 00's I watched as the digital revolution took hold.  I dismayed at how early dSLRs lacked the operational culture of the great manual cameras.  So, I delayed purchase of a digital camera until Nikon introduced one that would at least support my old 35mm format Nikkors.  That was August of '09, when a D700 came into the family.  Five years on, I see no need to "move up" to a better camera.  I know fully well that many are now better, but for me they would make no difference whatsoever.  Experience has taught me that, at least.

To this day, when I pick up a camera and put the finder to my eye, I still think about that art teacher from my youth.   I can almost hear her voice talking about things she had said about art and composition.  Sometimes my mind's ear can hear her say "Remember, space is an important shape too".

:)
« Last Edit: September 06, 2014, 07:23:20 PM by Hankosaurus »
Henry
A Certified Dinosaur
D700, F, F2, M3

Some say that those of us who like to talk about cameras should instead go and take pictures. I say we should go and also take pictures.