Hello Guest

Author Topic: Any thoughts on a 365 photography project?  (Read 530 times)

Offline A.y.a.z

• Hero
    • Framed For Life
Any thoughts on a 365 photography project?
« on: March 22, 2014, 12:27:27 PM »
Hi..thinking of starting one...has anyone on the forum tried this? You think its do-able?

Im thinking of giving it a shot (its still a thought )...not on a particular theme but just make it a point to shoot 1 photo every day for 365 days...

ps - in case you need to know what is a 365 project - it means you take 1 photograph  every single day for 365 days. Some people do it on a particular theme some do it without a theme. The idea is to shoot 1 good photograph every day..not a casual snapshot..a proper photograph.
Nikon FM(black), Nikon FG, Nikon D700, Nikon FM(silver), Nikon FM10, Pentax Spotmatic, Zenith TTL, Minox Wetzlar, Agfa Optima III, Yashica & Rollei rangefinders etc

28mm 2.8, 70-300vr, 200mm f4, 50mm 1.4, 55mm 2.8 macro, 50mm 1.8, 16mm 2.8, 70-210 f4 macro, Lensbaby, Helios 44 f2, 90mm macro, etc

Offline Hot Shoe

• Hero
Re: Any thoughts on a 365 photography project?
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2014, 12:57:24 PM »
It's a good way to get Members to reach out for their gear once a day Ayaz, but I suppose it can be done by those who have time to spare on a daily basis. Considering the fact that many Members have regular jobs it may take a bit to pull out their cameras. Nevertheless it's a nice form of encouragement and a push towards using gear.
Nikon D7000   /// Nikkor 35mm 1.8G  50mm 1.8D   55-300mm  // Tamron 17-50 f2.8  90mm f2.8 Macro  // Sigma 10-20mm f4-5.6  /// Yongnuo 460 II  560 III  /// Vanguard Alta Pro 263AT // Rollei Pro BH611

Offline Sandeep

• Trusted Member
  • Manic
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2014, 01:24:49 PM »
My personal take on this..not many may agree to my view..but if we have to force ourself to pursue a hobby then it isn't a hobby anymore..it might turn into a chore..The 365 project is good only if we take it up out of passion, not compulsion.

That said, I've become an armchair photog since few months myself ;)
"There is nothing worse than a sharp image of a fuzzy concept." - Ansel Adams

Offline Chillum_Baba

• Manic
  • Chillum Baba
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2014, 01:45:59 PM »
I think someone on jjmf had started it long back. Sujoy? Not sure.

Offline A.y.a.z

• Hero
    • Framed For Life
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2014, 03:59:14 PM »
Thanks guys for your inputs...

@hot shoe - I was counting the number of photos and keepers that I have got over the past few years..the number has been going down as my office work load has increased. So the 365 idea came to mind...to make up for the lack of photos..I think i need to make an effort to shoot more..and find new challenges which will prevent boredom.

@sandeep - IMHO ..i agree but it depends if you look at it as a "force your self" thingy or a new challenge....like i force my self to do a lot of things which i end up liking...like getting up in the morning early for a sunrise photo...im happy later on when i look at the photo but not really happy the minute i hear the alarm go off..

@chillum baba - i think it was gaurav who had started one....i dont know if he completed it though..
Nikon FM(black), Nikon FG, Nikon D700, Nikon FM(silver), Nikon FM10, Pentax Spotmatic, Zenith TTL, Minox Wetzlar, Agfa Optima III, Yashica & Rollei rangefinders etc

28mm 2.8, 70-300vr, 200mm f4, 50mm 1.4, 55mm 2.8 macro, 50mm 1.8, 16mm 2.8, 70-210 f4 macro, Lensbaby, Helios 44 f2, 90mm macro, etc

Offline aatifsumar

• Trusted Member
  • Regular
  • Amateur Shutterbug Who's Enjoying Making Mistakes
    • TheTechShepherd
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2014, 04:36:03 AM »
I have attempted a 365 day project. Called it Thousand Words a Day. The initial intention was to share an image every evening, both via Facebook and Flickr. Here is how my experience has been:
- It has been a great way to get myself out there and shoot more.
- Looking back at the images I took at the start I can appreciate the learning curve I've gone through
- It may not be practical to take new pictures every day, so I would use archived footage from past vacations/photo trips too
- After a certain point, you may hit a brick wall a few days. You just don't seem to have anything worth uploading / what you have to upload is very similar to what you just uploaded a few days ago
- Once you miss a couple of days, its very easy to fall into a rut and not feel like uploading
-Nevertheless I am glad I attempted it, though in a very amateur manner.
Amateur Shutterbug Who's Enjoying Making Mistakes

Offline yndesai

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
  • ShadowGraphy
« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2014, 10:48:35 PM »
I would rather attempt a 52x2 (for starter like me)  ie
104 project ie one pic for weekday and one pic for weekend.
With a caveat that its a planned pic.

So announce what I am attempting in next pic.
Try it > post the result > post the learning
it will be good diary.

So FY14-15 I am attempting project 104 photos

Being a Gujju FY resolution suites me rather than the 31st Dec one.
http://yndpics.blogspot.com

Best accessory of camera is 3" behind it,
And mine needs an upgrade. . . ;)

Offline A.y.a.z

• Hero
    • Framed For Life
« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2014, 12:09:20 AM »

Being a Gujju FY resolution suites me rather than the 31st Dec one.

:D :D :D

Look forward to seeing the photos...maybe you can make a thread in this section and title it "My 104 Project" and then keep posting those photos here...will be interesting to see them :)

Offline yndesai

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
  • ShadowGraphy
« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2014, 06:57:20 AM »
I am planning to discuss it on a thread here but post on blogger. Else threads and reply
will make the clicks and edits difficult to maintain.
http://yndpics.blogspot.com

Best accessory of camera is 3" behind it,
And mine needs an upgrade. . . ;)